SF 사랑방
* 욕설, 비방, 광고, 도배질 글은 임의로 삭제됩니다.

Regan's one final thought, an observation about a country which he lov…

페이지 정보

유샤인

본문

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0JqStCTDHfY Click the link if auto video feature does not work on your browser.

And since this is the last speech that I will give as President, I think it's fitting to leave one final thought, an observation about a country which I love. It was stated best in a letter I received not long ago. A man wrote me and said: ``You can go to live in France, but you cannot become a Frenchman. You can go to live in Germany or Turkey or Japan, but you cannot become a German, a Turk, or a Japanese. But anyone, from any corner of the Earth, can come to live in America and become an American.''

Yes, the torch of Lady Liberty symbolizes our freedom and represents our heritage, the compact with our parents, our grandparents, and our ancestors. It is that lady who gives us our great and special place in the world. For it's the great life force of each generation of new Americans that guarantees that America's triumph shall continue unsurpassed into the next century and beyond. Other countries may seek to compete with us; but in one vital area, as a beacon of freedom and opportunity that draws the people of the world, no country on Earth comes close.

This, I believe, is one of the most important sources of America's greatness. We lead the world because, unique among nations, we draw our people -- our strength -- from every country and every corner of the world. And by doing so we continuously renew and enrich our nation. While other countries cling to the stale past, here in America we breathe life into dreams. We create the future, and the world follows us into tomorrow.  Thanks to each wave of new arrivals to this land of opportunity, we're a nation forever young, forever bursting with energy and new ideas, and always on the cutting edge, always leading the world to the next frontier. This quality is vital to our future as a nation. If we ever closed the door to new Americans, our leadership in the world would soon be lost.

A number of years ago, an American student traveling in Europe took an East German ship across the Baltic Sea. One of the ship's crew members from East Germany, a man in his sixties, struck up a conversation with the American student. After a while the student asked the man how he had learned such good English. And the man explained that he had once lived in America. He said that for over a year he had worked as a farmer in Oklahoma and California, that he had planted tomatoes and picked ripe melons. It was, the man said, the happiest time of his life. Well, the student, who had seen the awful conditions behind the Iron Curtain, blurted out the question, ``Well, why did you ever leave?'' ``I had to,'' he said, ``the war ended.'' The man had been in America as a German prisoner of war.

Now, I don't tell this story to make the case for former POW's. Instead, I tell this story just to remind you of the magical, intoxicating power of America. We may sometimes forget it, but others do not. Even a man from a country at war with the United States, while held here as a prisoner, could fall in love with us. Those who become American citizens love this country even more. And that's why the Statue of Liberty lifts her lamp to welcome them to the golden door.

It is bold men and women, yearning for freedom and opportunity, who leave their homelands and come to a new country to start their lives over. They believe in the American dream. And over and over, they make it come true for themselves, for their children, and for others. They give more than they receive. They labor and succeed. And often they are entrepreneurs. But their greatest contribution is more than economic, because they understand in a special way how glorious it is to be an American. They renew our pride and gratitude in the United States of America, the greatest, freest nation in the world -- the last, best hope of man on Earth.

이게 내가 대통령으로서 하는 마지막 연설이 될 테니,

나의 마지막 생각을 남기는 게 옳다고 생각한다.
내가 사랑하는 나라에 관해 내가 관찰해온 바다.
내가 얼마 전에 받은 편지에 잘 적혀 있는 것이다.
어느 분이 내게 편지로 말했다:
"프랑스에 가서 살 수는 있지만, 프랑스인이 될 수는 없다.
독일이나, 터키나, 일본에 가서 살 수도 있지만,
독일사람이나 터키사람이나 일본인이 될 수는 없다.
그러나 그 어떤 사람이든 , 지구상의 어느 구석에서든
미국에 살러 와서, 미국인이 될 수 있다.

그렇다, 자유 여신상의 횃불이 우리의 자유를 상징하며
우리의 유산이며 우리 부모님들과 조부모님들과 우리 조상들과 맺은 계약 또한 대변한다.
이 세상에서 우리에게 우리의 위대하고 특별한 자리를 부여하는 이가 바로 자유의 여신상이다.
새로운 미국인들이 세대마다 발휘한  위대한 삶의 힘이야말로, 미국의 승리가 타의 추종을 불허하며 다음 세기를 초월하여 오래도록 계속될 것을 보장하는 힘이다.

다른 나라들이 우리와 경쟁하려 든다 해도 한가지 핵심적인 영역인, 세계 각국에서 사람들을 끌어들이는 자유와 기회의 봉화로서의 미국을 이 지상의 어느 나라도 따라 올 수 없다.

이것이야말로 내가 믿기로는 미국의 위대한 원천중 가장 중요한 원천이라고 본다. 우리는 세계를 이끄는데 그 이유는 우리는 여러 나라 중에서도 가장 특이하게도 우리의 사람들인즉 우리의 힘을 끌어들이는데 세계의 각국, 각처에서 끌어들인다. 
그리하여 우리는 계속해서 우리나라를 새롭게하며 부유하게 만들고 있다.
다른 나라들이 진부한 과거에 집착하는 동안 이곳 미국에선 여러가지 꿈을 불러 일으킨다.

우리가 미래를 창조하니 세계가 우리를 따라 미래로 지향하고 있다. 이 기회의 나라에 물결처럼 새롭게 도착하는 사람들 덕분에. 우리는 영원히 젊은 나라로서 영원히 정력과 새 아이디어로 넘치며  늘 최첨단의 기술 위에 있으며 항상 세계를 최선진으로 이끌고 있다.
이런 특성은 우리 나라의 미래에 아주 중요한 것이다.
 우리가 새로운 미국인들에게, 혹시나 문을 닫는다면

이 세계에서의 우리 지도력은 곧 잃게 될 것이다.

몇 해 전에, 유롭을 여행하던 미국학생 하나가 발틱해를 지나는 동독의 배를 탔다. 그배의 동독 선원중 하나는 60대의 사람이었는데 미국학생에게 말을 걸었다.
잠시 후에 학생이 그 분에게 어떻게 그처럼 영어를 잘 하게 되었나 물었다.그랬더니 그 사람은 한때 미국에서 살았다고 설명했다. 그의 말이 거의 일년 넘게 그는 농부로 일을 했단다.
오틀라호마와 캘리포녀에서 토마토를 심었고 잘 익은 멜론을 따면서. 그때가, 그의 말로는, 그의 인생에서 제일 행복했던 때였다고 한다. 그래서 철의 장막 뒤의 아주 지독한 상황을 본 학생이기에 질물은 토했다. "그럼, 도대체 왜 떠나셨어요.?"..

"그래야만 했어." 그는 말했다. "그 전쟁이 끝났거든."

그는 독일 포로로 미국에 있었던 것이다.

방금 내가 이야기 한 것은 한때 포로였던 사람들의 처지를 대변하려고 하는 이야기가 아니다.

그 대신 이 이야기를 하는 것은 여러분에게 상기시키려는 것이다.
마술적이며 도취시키는 미국의 힘을.

우리는 가끔 그것을 잊을 수 있을지 모르나 다른 사람들은 그러지 못한다.

미국과 전쟁하고 있는 나라 사람도  이곳에서 포로로 잡혀 있는 동안 우리와 사랑에 빠질 수 있다.
미국 시민이 된 사람들은 이 나라를 사랑한다 훨씬 더. 

그래서 자유 여신상은 그녀의 횃불을 높이 들고 있으니
그들을 황금의 문으로 환영하기 위해서다.

대담한 남자와 여자들만이 자유와 기회를 갈망하여
자기의 조국을 떠나서 새 삶을 시작하기 위해서 이 나라로 온다.
그들은 미국에서 모든 꿈을 이룰 수 있다고 믿는다.
그래서 계속하고 또 계속해서 그들은 자신들을 위해서, 자신들의 아이들과 다른 사람들을 위해서 그 꿈을 실제로 이룬다.

그들은 받은 것 이상을 더 주고 있다.
그들은 열심히 일하며 성공하여 가끔 기업가가 된다.
그러나 그들이 하는 최대의 공헌은 경제적인 것보다 더한 것이다. 왜냐면 그들은 특별나게도 미국인이 되는 것이 얼마나 영광스러운 것인가를 잘 이해하기 때문이다.
그들은  미합중국에 대한 우리의 긍지와 감사함을 새롭게 해 준다.  이 세상에서 최강국이며 가장 자유로운 나라이자 이 지상에서 인간들을 위해 있는 마지막이며 최상의 소망인 미국에.

Translation by YouShine@youshine.com 번역: 유샤인

작성일2019-05-11 00:29

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

SF 사랑방 목록
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회
2186 Die Fledermaus-Mein herr Marquis 박쥐, 나의 후작님 독어, 영어, 일어, 한글… 유샤인 2024-03-11 72
2185 나의 조국-박정희 작사작곡 My Homeland - Wrriten and composed by former… 유샤인 2024-03-11 63
2184 Die Fledermaus-Mein herr Marquis - Sumi Jo 박쥐, 나의 후작님 - 조수미 … 유샤인 2024-03-10 62
2183 다시 대한 만국 Rise Up The Republic Of Korea 노래: WLI Students 작시작곡… 댓글[1] 유샤인 2024-03-10 76
2182 중요한건 빼놓코 헛소리 하는 건국전쟁 영화 Gymlife2 2024-03-08 70
2181 -영화 ‘건국전쟁’ 을 보고- 나는 79학번 인하대 졸업생입니다. 댓글[1] 인기글 유샤인 2024-02-22 180
2180 O mio babbino caro, 아, 사랑하는 아빠, Oh my dear papa,  … 인기글 유샤인 2024-02-22 164
2179 살아야 할 이유? 무룡 (오디오만) The Reason To Live On - Muryong (audio o… 인기글 유샤인 2024-02-22 158
2178 막달라 마리아의 진실 - 우리는 지금 까지 막달라 마라이를 오해 했었다. 인기글 유샤인 2024-02-01 295
2177 답변글 Who Was Mary Magdalene in the Bible? 성경에 나오는 막달라 마리아는 누구였나? 인기글 유샤인 2024-02-22 255
2176 Jesus bleibet meine Freude, - Bach 나의 기쁨이신 예수 - 바흐 Jesus Rem… 인기글 유샤인 2024-01-20 465
2175 The Lily Of The Valley - Rev & Mrs Do Lee An offeri… 인기글 유샤인 2024-01-19 468
2174 꿈 Dream 황진이 시, 김안서 역시, 김성태곡, 손광선 노래 Poem: HwangJinYi, Lyrics… 인기글 유샤인 2023-12-23 809
2173 후애 厚愛 (아낌없는사랑) - 쏘프라노 김홍경, 박대웅 작곡, 조형정 작시 Bountiful Love - … 인기글 유샤인 2023-12-19 808
2172 시엔엔 (CNN)마저도 이제와서는 트럼프가 옳았고 바이든은 틀렸다!라고 보도하고 있다. 인기글 유샤인 2023-12-17 773
2171 명문대학 (성경의 하나님이 이승만 댜통령을 여하히 영적으로 성장시켰나를 알려주는 이야기다) 인기글 유샤인 2023-12-09 906
2170 '살아야 할 이유 (The Reason To Live On)' 노래/Singer: 첫님 on Youtube … 인기글 유샤인 2023-12-01 986
2169 가을밤 (이태선 시, 박태준 곡, 윤선애 노래) The Autumn Night - Singer: Yunm S… 인기글 유샤인 2023-11-28 960
2168 대한뉴스 제 1264-5호-故 박정희 대통령 국장 인기글 유샤인 2023-11-22 902
2167 O del mio dolce ardor- Juan Florez 아, 나의 달콤한 열정이여 Oh, Of My … 인기글 유샤인 2023-11-22 931
2166 O del mio dolce ardor- Jo Sumi 아, 나의 달콤한 열정이여 Oh, Of My Swee… 인기글 유샤인 2023-11-21 957
2165 시간에 기대어 -작시/작곡: 최진, Leaning on the time - 노래: 김홍경 소프라노와 그녀의 … 댓글[4] 인기글 유샤인 2023-11-11 1182
2164 All Things Bright And Beautiful - The Cambridge Singers John… 인기글 유샤인 2023-11-05 1211
2163 도기질/ 쎄라믹 임플란트 와 티타늄 일플란트 비교 Zirconia Vs Titanium Implant for… 인기글 유샤인 2023-11-05 1117
2162 사도신경 (아이반 헤누치) The Apostles' Creed (Ivan Genuchi) 샌프란시스코 매스터… 인기글 유샤인 2023-10-26 1230
2161 기도 /저희를 인도하소서 주님 - CHC 밀레니얼 현악단과 성가대 The Prayer / Lead Us,… 인기글 유샤인 2023-10-25 1194
2160 주의 길로 인도하소서 - 작시/작곡: 홍지열 샌프란시스코 매스터 코랄 합창 Lead me in Thy p… 인기글 유샤인 2023-10-23 1156
2159 산유화 - 상항 매스터코랄 합창 6/2023 , 김소월시, 이현철작곡, 김현 편곡 Flowers In Th… 인기글 유샤인 2023-10-18 1214
2158 A Marechiare -Giuseppe Di Stefano 마레키아레에 - 주세페 디 스테파노 Corsic… 인기글 유샤인 2023-10-13 1223
2157 청산에 살으리라- 테너 박세원, 김연준 작시작곡 In A Green Mountain, I Shall Live… 인기글 유샤인 2023-10-11 1212
게시물 검색
* 게시일 1년씩 검색합니다. '이전검색','다음검색'으로 계속 검색할 수 있습니다.
** 본 게시판의 게시물에 대하여 회사가 법적인 책임을 지지 않습니다.