* 욕설, 비방, 광고, 도배질 글은 임의로 삭제됩니다.

작가 한강 뉴욕타임스 기고문 - 미국이 전쟁을 이야기할 때 한국은 몸서리를 친다

페이지 정보

원조다안다

본문

While the U.S. Talks of War, South Korea Shudders
미국이 전쟁을 이야기할 때 한국은 몸서리를 친다

There is no war scenario that ends in victory.
승리로 끝나는 전쟁 시나리오란 없다.

By HAN KANG OCT. 7, 2017

SEOUL, South Korea — I cannot turn my thoughts from the news article I happened to see a few days ago. A man in his 70s accidentally dropped two thick wads of cash in the street. Two people who happened upon this bundle of money and shared it between them were caught by the police, made to give up the money and charged with theft.

한국, 서울 – 며칠 전 우연히 본 뉴스 기사가 머리를 떠나지 않는다. 70대의 한 남성이 두툼한 두 개의 돈다발을 실수로 길가에 떨어뜨렸다. 이 돈다발을 우연히 발견하고 나눠가진 두 사람은 경찰에 붙잡혀서 그 돈을 내주고 절도 혐의로 입건되었다.

Up until here, it is still an ordinary story. But there was a special reason this man was carrying so much cash on him. “I’m worried that a war might be coming,” he told the police, “so I’d just taken my savings out of the bank and was on my way home.” He said that it was money he had saved — a little bit each month — for four years, intended to send his grandchildren to college. Since the Korean War broke out in 1950, war would have been the enduring experience of this man’s adolescence. I imagine what he would have been feeling, a man who has lived an ordinary middle-class life ever since, on his way to the bank to take out his savings. The terror, the unease, the impotence, the nervousness.

여기까지는 그저 일반적인 이야기이다. 그러나 이 남성이 그렇게 많은 현금을 지닌 데에는 특별한 이유가 있었다. 그는 “전쟁이 일어날까 봐 두렵다”며, “그래서 은행에 저축한 돈을 찾아서 집으로 가는 길이었다”고 경찰에 진술했다. 그는 그 돈이 손주들을 대학에 보내기 위해 지난 4년 동안 매달 조금씩 저축한 돈이었다고 말했다. 1950년에 한국전쟁이 발발했기 때문에 전쟁은 이 남자가 사춘기를 거치는 동안 겪어내야 했던 경험이었을 것이다. 그 이후로 평범한 중산층의 삶을 살았던 그 사람이 저축한 돈을 찾기 위해 은행에 가는 동안 심정이 어땠을까 상상해본다. 공포, 불안, 무기력, 초조함.

Unlike that man, I belong to the generation that never experienced the Korean War. Crossing the border to the North was already impossible before I was born, and even now it is forbidden for Southerners to meet or have contact with Northerners. For those of us of the postwar generation, the country known as North Korea is at times felt as a kind of surreal entity. Of course, rationally, I and other Southerners are aware that Pyongyang is only two hours by car from Seoul and that the war is not over but still only at a cease-fire. I know it exists in reality, not as a delusion or mirage, though the only way to check up on this is through maps and the news.

그 남성과 달리 나는 한국전쟁을 경험하지 않은 세대에 속한다. 국경을 넘어 북한에 가는 것은 내가 태어나기도 전에 이미 불가능해졌고, 지금도 남한 사람들이 북한 사람들을 만나거나 접촉하는 것 자체가 금지되어 있다. 전후 세대인 우리와 같은 사람들에게 북한으로 알려진 그 나라는 때로 일종의 비현실적인 존재로 느껴진다. 물론 이성적으로, 나를 포함한 남한 사람들은 평양이 차량으로 서울에서 단지 두 시간 거리에 있고 전쟁은 끝난 것이 아니라 여전히 휴전상태일 뿐인 것을 알고 있다. 확인할 수 있는 유일한 방법이 지도나 뉴스를 통한 것이긴 해도 나는 북한이 망상이나 신기루 속에 존재하는 것이 아니라 현실에 존재한다는 것을 알고 있다.

But as a fellow writer who is of a similar age to me once said, the DMZ at times feels like the ocean. As though we live not on a peninsula but on an island. And as this peculiar situation has continued for 60 years, South Koreans have reluctantly become accustomed to a taut and contradictory sensation of indifference and tension.

그러나 내 또래의 동료 작가가 언젠가 말했듯이, 비무장지대는 때로 거대한 바다처럼 느껴진다. 마치 우리가 한반도에 살고 있는 것이 아니라 섬에 살고 있는 듯이 말이다. 그리고 이러한 특수한 상황이 60년 동안 지속되었기 때문에 한국인들은 무관심과 긴장이라는 팽팽하고 모순된 감각에 어쩔 수 없이 익숙해졌다.

Now and then, foreigners report that South Koreans have a mysterious attitude toward North Korea. Even as the rest of the world watches the North in fear, South Koreans appear unusually calm. Even as the North tests nuclear weapons, even amid reports of a possible pre-emptive strike on North Korea by the United States, the schools, hospitals, bookshops, florists, theaters and cafes in the South all open their doors at the usual time. Small children climb into yellow school buses and wave at their parents through the windows; older students step into the buses in their uniforms, their hair still wet from washing; and lovers head to cafes carrying flowers and cake.

때때로 외국인들은 한국인들이 북한에 대해 이상한 태도를 지니고 있다고 말한다. 심지어 전세계가 북한을 두려움으로 지켜보고 있는 동안에도 한국인들은 이상할 정도로 차분하다. 북한이 핵무기들을 실험해도, 심지어 미국이 북한을 선제공격할 가능성이 있다는 보도에도 서울에 있는 학교, 병원, 서점, 꽃집, 극장과 카페는 평상시처럼 문을 연다. 어린 아이들은 노란 스쿨버스에 올라 타 창밖의 부모에게 손을 흔들고 고학년의 학생들은 교복 차림으로, 아침에 감아 아직 머리가 젖은 채로 버스에 올라탄다. 연인들은 꽃과 케잌을 들고 카페로 향한다.

And yet, does this calm prove that South Koreans really are as indifferent as we might seem? Has everyone really managed to transcend the fear of war? No, it is not so. Rather, the tension and terror that have accumulated for decades have burrowed deep inside us and show themselves in brief flashes even in humdrum conversation. Especially over the past few months, we have witnessed this tension gradually increasing, on the news day after day, and inside our own nervousness. People began to find out where the nearest air-raid shelter from their home and office is. Ahead of Chuseok, our harvest festival, some people even prepared gifts for their family — not the usual box of fruit, but “survival backpacks,” filled with a flashlight, a radio, medicine, biscuits. In train stations and airports, each time there is a news broadcast related to war, people gather in front of the television, watching the screen with tense faces. That’s how things are with us. We are worried. We are afraid of the direct possibility of North Korea, just over the border, testing a nuclear weapon again and of a radiation leak. We are afraid of a gradually escalating war of words becoming war in reality. Because there are days we still want to see arrive. Because there are loved ones beside us. Because there are 50 million people living in the south part of this peninsula, and the fact that there are 700,000 kindergartners among them is not a mere number to us.

하지만 이 차분함은 한국인들이 정말로 겉으로 보기처럼 무관심하다는 것을 보여주는 것일까? 모든 사람들이 정말로 전쟁의 공포를 초월한 것일까? 아니다. 그렇지 않다. 오히려 수십 년 동안 축적된 긴장과 공포는 우리 내부 깊이 파고 들어 있으며 일상적인 대화에서도 잠깐씩 그 모습을 드러내기도 한다. 특히 지난 몇 개월 동안, 우리는 매일 뉴스에서 그리고 우리 자신의 초조함 속에서 이 긴장감이 점점 높아지고 있는 것을 보았다. 사람들은 집과 사무실에서 가장 가까운 공습 대피소가 어디에 있는지 알아보기 시작했다. 우리의 추수감사절인 추석을 앞두고 어떤 사람들은 가족들을 위한 선물로 의례적인 과일 상자가 아니라 손전등, 라디오, 약품, 비스킷으로 채워진 “생존 배낭”을 준비하기도 했다. 기차역과 공항에서는 전쟁과 관련된 뉴스 방송이 있을 때마다 사람들이 텔레비전 앞에 모여 긴장된 얼굴로 화면을 지켜본다. 이것이 우리의 일상이다. 우리는 걱정하고 있다. 우리는 국경 너머 북한이 다시 핵무기를 실험할 가능성을 두려워하고 방사능 누출을 두려워한다. 우리는 점차적으로 격해지는 말다툼이 실제 전쟁으로 진행될까 두려워한다. 우리에게는 아직 보고 싶은 미래가 있기 때문이다. 우리 곁에는 사랑하는 사람들이 있기 때문이다. 그리고 이 한반도의 남쪽에 5천만 명이 살고 있으며, 그중 70만 명의 유치원생이라는 것은 우리에게 그냥 단순한 숫자가 아니기 때문이다.

One reason, even in these extreme circumstances, South Koreans are struggling to maintain a careful calm and equilibrium is that we feel more concretely than the rest of the world the existence of North Korea, too. Because we naturally distinguish between dictatorships and those who suffer under them, we try to respond to circumstances holistically, going beyond the dichotomy of good and evil. For whose sake is war waged? This type of longstanding question is staring us straight in the face right now, as a vividly felt actuality.

이러한 극단적인 상황 속에서도 한국인들이 신중하게 차분함과 평형을 유지하기 위해 애를 쓰는 한 가지 이유는 우리가 북한의 존재를 전세계 어느 국가보다 더 구체적으로 느끼고 있기 때문이다. 우리는 당연하게도 독재와 독재 치하에서 고통받는 사람들을 구별하기 때문에 선과 악의 이분법을 뛰어 넘어 전체적으로 상황에 대처하려고 노력한다. 누구를 위해 전쟁이 벌어지는가? 이런 유형의 오래된 질문은, 생생하게 느껴지는 현실로서 지금 바로 우리와 마주하고 있다.

In researching my novel “Human Acts,” which deals with the 1980 Gwangju Uprising, when the military dictatorship turned to the armed forces to suppress student protests against martial law, I had to widen the field to include documents related not only to Gwangju but also to World War II, the Spanish Civil War, Bosnia and the massacres of Native Americans. Because what I ultimately wanted to focus on was not one particular time and place but the face of universal humanity that is revealed in the history of this world. I wanted to ask what it is that makes human beings harm others so brutally, and how we ought to understand those who never lose hold of their humanity in the face of violence. I wanted to grope toward a bridge spanning the yawning chasm between savagery and dignity. One of the many things I realized during my research is that in all wars and massacres there is a critical point at which human beings perceive certain other human beings as “subhuman” — because they have a different nationality, ethnicity, religion, ideology. This realization, too, came at the same time: The last line of defense by which human beings can remain human is the complete and true perception of another’s suffering, which wins out over all of these biases. And the fact that actual, practical volition and action, which goes beyond simple compassion for the suffering of others, is demanded of us at every moment.

군사독재 정권이 계엄령을 반대하는 학생 시위를 진압하기 위해 군대를 투입했던 1980년 광주항쟁을 다룬 소설 “소년이 온다”를 위해 연구하면서 나는 광주뿐만 아니라 2차 세계대전, 스페인 내전, 보스니아 내전 및 아메리칸 원주민 대학살과 관련된 문서들까지 연구범위를 넓혀야 했다. 내가 궁극적으로 집중하고자 했던 것은 특정한 시간과 장소가 아니라 이 세상의 역사에서 드러난 보편적인 인간성의 얼굴이었기 때문이다. 나는 인간이 다른 인간들에게 그렇게도 잔인하게 해악을 끼치게 하는 것이 무엇인지, 그리고 폭력에 직면해서도 결코 인간성을 잃지 않는 사람들을 어떻게 이해해야 하는지 묻고 싶었다. 나는 야만성과 고결함 사이에 벌어진 틈새를 이어주는 교량이 무엇인지 모색하고 싶었다. 연구하는 동안 깨달은 많은 것들 중 하나는 모든 전쟁과 학살에서 인간이 다른 특정 인간을, 다른 국적, 인종, 종교, 이데올로기를 가지고 있다는 이유로 “인간 이하”라고 인식하게 되는 임계점이 있다는 것이다. 동시에 깨달았던 또 한 가지는, 인간을 인간으로 남아 있게 하는 최후의 방어선은 타인이 겪는 고통에 대한 온전하고 진실된 인식이며 이러한 인식은 모든 편견을 뛰어 넘는다는 것이다. 그리고 타인의 고통에 대해 단순한 동정을 뛰어 넘는 실제적이고 실질적인 결단과 행동이 매순간 우리에게 요구된다는 사실이다.

The Korean War was a proxy war enacted on the Korean Peninsula by neighboring great powers. Millions of people were butchered over those three brutal years, and the former national territory was utterly destroyed. Only relatively recently has it come to light that in this tragic process were several instances of the American Army, officially our allies, massacring South Korean citizens. In the most well-known of these, the No Gun Ri Massacre, American soldiers drove hundreds of citizens, mainly women and children, under a stone bridge, then shot at them from both sides for several days, killing most of them. Why did it have to be like this? If they did not perceive the South Korean refugees as “subhuman,” if they had perceived the suffering of others completely and truly, as dignified human beings, would such a thing have been possible?

한국 전쟁은 이웃 강대국들이 한반도에서 일으킨 대리 전쟁이었다. 수백만명의 사람들이 그 3년의 잔인한 세월 동안 도살당했고, 이전 국토는 철저히 파괴되었다. 이 비극적인 전쟁 중, 공식적으로 우리 동맹국이었던 미국 군대가 남한의 시민들을 학살한 여러 사건이 비교적 최근에 와서야 밝혀졌다. 이중 가장 잘 알려진 사건들 중 노근리 학살은 미군 병사들이 대부분 여성과 아이들이었던 수백 명의 주민들을 돌다리 밑으로 몰아넣고 며칠에 걸쳐 양쪽에서 총을 쏘아 그들 대부분을 죽인 사건이다. 왜 이렇게 해야만 했을까? 만약 그들이 남한 난민들을 “인간 이하”로 보지 않았다면, 만약 그들이 다른 사람들의 고통을 온전하고 진실하게 인식했더라면, 그러한 일이 가능했을까?

Now, nearly 70 years on, I am listening as hard as I can each day to what is being said on the news from America, and it sounds perilously familiar. “We have several scenarios.” “We will win.” “If war breaks out on the Korean Peninsula, 20,000 South Koreans will be killed every day.” “Don’t worry, war won’t happen in America. Only on the Korean Peninsula.”

제 거의 70년이 지난 지금, 나는 미국 뉴스에서 말하는 것을 최선을 다해 열심히 매일 듣고 있는데 이 말들은 위험할 정도로 익숙하게 들린다. “우리에게는 여러 가지 시나리오가 있다.” “우리는 승리 할 것이다.” “한반도에서 전쟁이 터지면 매일 2만 명의 한국인이 죽게 될 것이다”. “걱정하지 말라. 전쟁이 미국에서 벌어지는 것이 아니다. 한반도에서만 벌어질 것이다.”

To the South Korean government, which speaks only of a solution of dialogue and peace in this situation of sharp confrontation, the president of the United States has said, “They only understand one thing.” It’s an accurate comment. Koreans really do understand only one thing. We understand that any solution that is not peace is meaningless and that “victory” is just an empty slogan, absurd and impossible. People who absolutely do not want another proxy war are living, here and now, on the Korean Peninsula.

이처럼 날선 대립의 상황에서 대화와 평화가 유일한 해법이라고 주장하는 한국 정부에 트럼프 미국 대통령은 “그들은 한 가지만 알고 있다”고 말했다. 정확히 맞는 말이다. 한국인들은 정말로 한 가지만 알고 있다. 한국인들은 평화가 아닌 어떤 해법도 의미가 없으며 “승리”는 단지 공허한 구호로서 터무니 없고 불가능하다는 것을 알고 있다. 또 하나의 대리 전쟁을 결코 원하지 않는 사람들이 바로 지금 한반도에 살고 있다.

When I think about the months to come, I remember the candlelight of last winter. Every Saturday, in cities across South Korea, hundreds of thousands of citizens gathered and sang together in protest against the corrupt government, holding candles in paper cups, shouting that the president should step down. I, too, was in the streets, holding up a flame of my own. At the time, we called it the “candlelight rally” or “candlelight demonstration”; we now call it our “candlelight revolution.”

앞으로 다가 올 시간을 생각할 때 나는 지난 겨울의 촛불을 기억하게 된다. 매주 토요일 한국의 도시들에서 수십 만 명의 시민들이 종이컵에 담긴 촛불을 들고 대통령은 퇴진하라는 구호를 외치며 부패한 정부에 저항하여 함께 모여 노래를 불렀다. 나 역시 촛불을 들고 거리에 있었다. 그 당시 우리는 이를 “촛불집회” 혹은 “촛불시위”라고 불렀다. 지금 우리는 그것을 우리의 “촛불혁명”이라고 부른다.

We only wanted to change society through the quiet and peaceful tool of candlelight, and those who eventually made that into a reality — no, the tens of millions of human beings who have dignity, simply through having been born into this world as lives, weak and unsullied — carry on opening the doors of cafes and teahouses and hospitals and schools every day, going forward together one step at a time for the sake of a future that surges up afresh every moment. Who will speak, to them, of any scenario other than peace?

우리는 촛불이라는 조용하고 평화로운 도구를 통해 사회를 바꾸고자 원했을 뿐이며, 이를 결국 현실로 만든 사람들, 약하고 순수한 생명으로 이 세상에 태어나 인간적 고결함을 지닌 수천만 명의 사람들은 매일 카페와 찻집, 병원과 학교의 문을 열며 매순간 새롭게 밀려오는 미래를 위해 한 걸음씩 앞으로 나아가고 있다. 그들에게 누가 평화가 아닌 다른 시니리오를 말할 수 있겠는가?

Han Kang is the author, most recently, of the novel “Human Acts.”
한강은 최신작 “소년이 온다”의 작가이다.

This essay was translated by Deborah Smith from the Korean.
이 기고문은 데보라 스미스가 영어로 옮겼다.
추천 8

작성일2024-02-29 20:09

등록된 댓글이 없습니다.

자유게시판 목록
번호 제목 글쓴이 날짜 조회
104830 시상식에서 일침 날리는 코미디언 인기글 7 원조다안다 2024-04-25 590
104829 3.1운동이 만주 하얼빈에서 시작됐다고 올린 정부(행정안전부) 댓글[1] 인기글 2 원조다안다 2024-03-01 591
104828 틱톡 유행. 다 다 다 가사 인기글 Gymlife2 2024-03-23 591
104827 소셜 연금도 소득. 하지만 소득이 댓글[3] 인기글 Gymlife2 2024-03-08 593
104826 전문직 취업비자(H-1B) 해고 인기글첨부파일 미이민 2024-03-28 594
104825 내가 최근 산 머리 트림 기계. 우주 비행사도 쓰네. ㅎㅎ 인기글 Gymlife2 2024-04-09 594
104824 여자들을 위한 조언 댓글[1] 인기글 1 원조다안다 2024-04-23 595
104823 2020년 국제 이주자 근 3억. 북한은 가장 적은 나라 댓글[1] 인기글첨부파일 Gymlife2 2024-02-29 596
104822 Costco in Pleasanton 10년만에 공사시작 드론샷 Flyover 인기글 Fremont7 2024-04-24 596
104821 한국보다 앞서서 '의대 증원'...선진국들 사례 보니 인기글 4 원조다안다 2024-02-22 597
104820 대한민국 지폐는 왜 초상화가 오른쪽에 있을까? 댓글[1] 인기글 1 원조다안다 2024-03-10 597
104819 독립유공자와 후손들을 위한 늦은 졸업식을 연 빙그레 댓글[1] 인기글 8 원조다안다 2024-03-10 597
104818 메디칼 덴티칼 의사 찾는법. 누군 너무 많코 누군 너무 적고 인기글 Gymlife2 2024-03-20 599
104817 中관영매체, 한국인 82%, 한·중 우호관계 원해??? 댓글[2] 인기글 pike 2024-04-18 599
104816 STEM 전공자 비자,영주권 승인에 유리 인기글첨부파일 미이민 2024-01-11 600
104815 삼일절 삼행시 인기글첨부파일 슬기로운사생활 2024-03-03 600
104814 인류가 자아에 눈뜨기 시작하면서부터 모든 비극은 시작되었다 댓글[6] 인기글 3 원조다안다 2024-03-12 600
104813 Golden Gate Park 안에 튜울맆. 카라릴리가 많이 피었습니다. 인기글첨부파일 HIKING 2024-03-25 601
104812 지혜 키우는 영어 (제32회) 인기글 Mason할배 2024-01-18 602
104811 지혜 키우는 영어 (제39회) 댓글[1] 인기글 1 Mason할배 2024-01-28 602
104810 독립운동하면 3대가 망한다 인기글 6 원조다안다 2024-03-02 602
104809 여성 청소년 자살 급증에 대한 생각. 댓글[1] 인기글 Gymlife2 2024-04-08 602
104808 시골의사 박경철의 감동 이야기 인기글 10 원조다안다 2024-04-13 602
104807 지혜 키우는 영어 (제43회) 댓글[1] 인기글 Mason할배 2024-02-01 603
104806 지혜 키우는 영어 (제24회) 인기글 1 Mason할배 2024-01-02 604
104805 그냥 남한이 못나니 사회가 되는 이유 댓글[1] 인기글 Gymlife2 2024-03-29 604
104804 지혜 키우는 영어 (제49회) 댓글[1] 인기글 Mason할배 2024-02-08 605
104803 이근은 미국 군사학교에서 언어문학 전공 댓글[1] 인기글 1 Gymlife2 2024-04-07 605
104802 게시판 명언 댓글[1] 인기글 11 오필승코리아 2024-04-09 605
104801 덕혜옹주.. 제국의 꽃으로 피어 망국의 한으로 지다 인기글 11 원조다안다 2024-04-19 605
게시물 검색
* 게시일 1년씩 검색합니다. '이전검색','다음검색'으로 계속 검색할 수 있습니다.
** 본 게시판의 게시물에 대하여 회사가 법적인 책임을 지지 않습니다.